The Carter Family — led by A.P. Carter with his wife, Sara, and sister-in-law, Maybelle — became world-famous for their simple folk melodies, close family harmony and Maybelle’s hugely influential guitar playing. Documentary filmmaker Beth Harrington traces the group’s evolution in her award-winning festival favorite, The Winding Stream: The Carters, the Cashes and the Course of Country Music, which includes one of the final appearances of the late Johnny Cash as well as studio performances by George Jones, Sheryl Crow and others.
On October 16th, Omnivore Recordings will release the soundtrack to the documentary, which will spotlight songs from the original Carter Family as well as tracks by John Prine, Rosanne Cash, the Nitty Gitty Dirt Band (with Kris Kristofferson), Carolina Chocolate Drops and more.
The film, from Argot Pictures, will be in theaters this fall.
The Winding Stream: The Carters, the Cashes and the Course of Country Music Track List:
1. “Bear Creek Blues,” John Prine
2. “Lord, I’m in Your Care,” Grey Delisle and Murry Hammond
3. “Bury Me Under the Weeping Willow Tree,” The Original Carter Family
4. “Single Girl, Married Girl,” The Original Carter Family
5. “Worried Man Blues,” George Jones
6. “Hello Stranger,” Carolina Chocolate Drops
7. “Keep on the Sunny Side,” The Original Carter Family
8. “Cannon Ball Blues,” The Original Carter Family
9. “I’m Thinking Tonight of My Blue Eyes,” The Original Carter Family
10. “Wildwood Flower,” Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters
11. “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” Johnny Cash and the Carter Sisters
12. “In the Shadow of Clinch Mountain,” Murry Hammond
13. “Sweet Fern,” Maybelle and Sara Carter
14. “Gold Watch and Chain,” The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band With Kris Kristofferson
15. “Step Light Ladies,” Home Folks, Joe Carter and John McCutcheon
16. “The Winding Stream,” Rosanne Cash
Read more at Rolling Stone.